The Dangers of Dogs Eating Chocolates At Easter

Easter is a time of celebration, with plenty of sweets, chocolate, and more, however, it’s always important to remember the harmful dangers that these treats pose to our four-legged pals.

Why is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

Whilst we can enjoy the benefits of chocolate, it is the opposite for dogs. Chocolate contains toxic substances called methylxanthines, specifically theobromine and caffeine, which are stimulants. While humans can easily break down and digest both, dogs can’t and just a little bit of chocolate can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and restlessness, whilst too much can cause serious complications such as seizures, irregular heart function and even death in some dogs. All of these symptoms begin showing within 4 to 24 hours.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

It’s important to act fast and be vigilant if you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate.  Make a note of the type of chocolate and amount ingested as this can affect the symptoms, e.g. dark chocolate can exacerbate symptoms, and contact your vet immediately.  As our In-House Vet Alison advises you should “Never adopt a 'wait and see' approach with a suspected poisoning. Contact your vet immediately, as prompt treatment will often result in a more favourable outcome”. 

Our advice this Easter is to keep all chocolate off the table and look for other treats for your furry friend.  There are great natural alternatives to chocolate for dogs, such as our Chicken Chews from our treats range or hand-cooked Spring Lamb recipe, so they too can be a part of the family celebration and enjoy a happy, healthy Eastertide.

If you have any concerns or questions, please do get in touch or talk to your vet.